Translate

Monday, December 3, 2018

Holiday Nutrition Hacks

Last week, Hold for the Holidays participants shared some really great nutrition hacks they use to get through the holiday season without gaining weight. Take a look at some of our favorites below, as well as a neat word collage created using all of the tips together!


  • Move away from finger foods at parties or gatherings...It is too easy to over indulge on chips, nuts, candies, etc.
  • When eating out, cut the food in half and box it to go so you won't eat it.
  • Always volunteer to bring something to a gathering so that you will have the healthy option to enjoy.
  • Skinny Jeans
  • Always try to volunteer to bring the veggies or fruit so I know there will be healthy options available
  • Meal prep lunches for the week, snacks, salads and fruits!
  • I actually have been making my mashed potatoes dairy free! I use Earth Balance Organic dairy free spread, it's similar to a margarine, and in place of milk or cream, I use organic chicken stock! The potatoes are delicious and a little healthier than regular, plus my tummy doesn't suffer from the dairy! Yum!
  • I have been eating slower, making sure to take my time at every meal so I feel full and don't need seconds.
  • I make sure to get plenty of water throughout the day and I track my food using my fitness pal to make sure I get enough protein.
  • Eat breakfast everyday, even if it’s just a protein shake.
  • When going somewhere for a meal, plan other meals for the day that leave room and allow you to indulge at the special meal.
  • Bring chopped fresh vegetables to snack on at work - Fill up on Hearty Vegetable soups for lunch ...research shows it works better than salads
  • Smaller plate for a smaller portion
  • Instead of having seconds I’ll just go take care of my plate instead of it being in front of me. It’s to tempting!
  • Water all throughout the day, clean eating, prepping!!
  • Keep a small container of nuts for those unexpected hunger attacks.
  • Don’t have dessert every night
  • Eat at the table- not in front of the TV
  • Eat more protein!!
  • When I wake up, I drink a glass of cold water to not only get a boost on my water intake for the day but to also help get my body moving.
  • Drink a cup of green tea with honey at night for “dessert”. Fills me up and satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • I try to stop eating before I fed full so I don’t end up stuffed and uncomfortable.
  • Use a smaller plate. Eat off a plate not out of a bag!
  • Less carbs!
  • Eat more vegetables as appetizers instead of chips...think about eating food that is grown from the earth instead of processed! 
  • Cut out sugar- use small amounts of maple syrup or honey instead.
  • With all of the goodies that show up at work during the holiday season, I try to follow the, “I will only eat the things I bring to eat ” rule.
  • Always having fruits and veggies washed and in sight makes for great snacking.
  • Figuring out what dessert is worth it and picking one instead of taking bites of everything. Or doing the opposite and taking one bite of a few desserts to allow yourself to get a taste for your favorites.
  • Replace flour with almond/coconut flour, only cook or bake with natural sugars instead of refined sugars
  • Protein shakes, smoothies to get in more fruits/veggies, exercise
  • I drink water on the way to school instead of stopping for coffee. Keeps the extra calories off!
  • Load plate with lots of veggies and protein and a very small amount of grains. 
  • Put fruit in ice cubes to make water more fun. I make several different kinds so I can ask each guest what they want.
  • Have healthy snack plates available which will help not eat a whole meal. Also, share a plate! Like at a potluck - share a plate with someone and try a few items every 15 minutes to refrains from getting a giant plate to yourself and feeling obligated to eat it all!
  • Always eat breakfast
  • I brush my teeth right after eating dinner then I am not tempted to eat dessert later on that night.
  • Be aware of portion sizes...I find they make a big difference.
  • I substitute lemon juice and olive oil for regular salad dressing...a healthier choice that also tastes good!
  • I eat healthy fats such as avocados and macadamias to help keep me full. The Keto diet is working for me and I’ve been on it since July.
  • Drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a 16.9 oz bottle of water every morning
  • Try not to eat a big meal too late in the evening. I try to eat my last meal before 7pm so I can fully digest before I go to bed. :)
  • Exercise frequently
  • Try drinking seltzer water instead of the alcohol beverage. It is filling and other people may think that you are not being a party popper, also, when the appetizers are out, take only a few things and take small bites and savior the treats.
  • mindful eating- asking myself before I grab something if I'm really hungry
  • Do not snack during cooking, wait for the meal.
  • I do not wait too long to eat. I have a small snacks, such as a clementine or a handful of raw almonds (8-12) to hold me over.
  • I try eating a piece of fruit when I get a craving for something sweet.
  • 3 bites. Your taste is satisfied after 3 bites, so if I desire something that may not be healthy, I only have 3 small bites and then move on to the more healthy food choices.
  • Eat more of a green-based diet to offset holiday meals and snacks.
  • Watch the type of fruits that are high in sugar- replace with berries of all colors!
  • Read labels carefully and log your caloric intake on your fitness tracker. If the weather permits, walk for a half hour before or after your meal.
  • When going to a party, offer to make a dessert. You can make something healthy with fruit that still looks fun and festive without being filled with fats and processed sugars.
  • Our family goes for a walk after meals to burn off the calories right away!
  • Always use plates and bowls--don't eat out of packaging/food containers. You will pay more attention to what you are eating, enjoy it more, and are less likely to overeat.
  • I'm usually hungry right after school, so I pack an apple or some grapes for the ride home. This helps to curb my urge to eat a different snack when I get home.
  • Measure out snacks so you know how much you are eating.
  • I use the app my fitness pal! I enter the foods & drinks I eat each meal (and it syncs my steps with fitbit) and it help tally my calories in vs calories burner to help me stay within my goals! I find it helps me stay on track as well as making me think twice about extra treats knowing I'll be entering it in!
  • I pack a snack and a water bottle in my purse when I go out shopping. This helps eliminate those check-out counter temptations of chips or candy. It also helps get me through the errands and back home without choosing to eat out (saves money and calories!).

No comments:

Post a Comment